A Sacred Trust

Isn't it strange how a single moment can change your life? We've all experienced it at some level or another. Maybe you were just walking down the street and caught a glimpse of the person that would soon become your spouse. Perhaps you made the mistake of having a few drinks or smoking some dope, and then climbed behind the wheel. Everything was cool...until the Moment; the blue lights or, even worse, the crash. A single moment of lawlessness has changed your life & if you hurt someone else, the lives of many people. A Moment...a single moment. For some it was a moment of loneliness or vulnerability and you gave into temptation and gave away your body. You deluded yourself and thought the moment had no consequence. But when the pregnancy test read "++", a single Moment changed your life. Maybe, like me, you watched your wife (or husband) take their last breath. A single Moment with an unfathomable impact. Life is full of these Moments. They can be moments of joy, sadness, anger, passion, stupidity, or countless other things. They have one thing in common: the shape our lives.

So, what do these moments have to do with the Sacred Trust mentioned in the title? Allow me to explain; I had one of these moments today. I was driving around the outskirts of Kansas City, hoping to find a small, local deli with good food...anything but fast food again. (I found one, by the way) I wasn't keenly aware of the Lord or the Holy Spirit. I wasn't praying or seeking the Lord or any of that "spiritual" stuff; just driving along minding my own business, not really thinking at all. Gradually I became aware that the Lord was speaking to my heart. (Let me explain this briefly for those of you unfamiliar with the concept of "hearing from the Lord". I didn't heat the audible voice of the Lord; no thundering, lightning, or "spooky-spiritual" stuff. In fact, no overwhelming voice, just the still, small voice of the Lord in my heart; an impression or nudge frm the Holy Spirit. When this happens, I've learned to quiet my mind & heart, and just listen to what the Lord is saying.)

This is what I heard..."Greg, I've trusted you with this sacred experience. I've trusted you to go through this sorrow, and to use it to bring glory to me and healing to my hurting children." I was floored. This whole time I've been considering it as a bad thing. Maybe it was punishment for some real or imagined sin; maybe I didn't pray enough, or fast enough, or...on & on. I know that these aren't true, but deeply rooted nonetheless. It has beeen somewhat easier since the Lord did a major work in my heart at the "OneThing" conference in Atlanta a couple months ago, where He told me that Denise had "attained death." But still...I've been counting it as all bad. Then today I had a one of those moments, a life changing Moment. In that single moment, I gained some divine perspective and I was honored and humbled by the Lord. My painful loss, from heavens perspective, was a moment of sacred trust.

Lord, give me the grace to fulfill the task you have entrusted to me. Lord, I can't do anything in my flesh. Jesus, if I try to do it or touch it, I'll screw it up. Lord, thank you for trusting me with this mission; Lord, for trusting me to bring your light, love, hope, and healing to your hurting children. Lord, most importantly, I declare and reaffirm my trust...my Sacred Trust for you.

1 comments:

silent wings said...

I've been following your journey...in quiet awe of the Lord.I've wanted to say "I'm praying for you" but instead I found your words falling on me like intercession on my behalf. I'm finding a revelation of peace that is unexplainable, almost as if it is imparted. This entry puts it all into perspective. Thank you for being a vessel - it is He who gives us the will to do what He has placed before us...your surrender His work too. How beautiful is my Jesus! That Jesus would trust us.....wow. May my eyes be opened to His life in me...the beginning, the process, the completion..it's all Him. I have made Him too small in my eyes.