The Wisdom Of Laying Down

Written on 1/7/2010

It was just a few months ago. It was late Spring or early Summer. Noah was happily doing what 2 yr old boys do outside on days like this...running around in circles screaming and then heaving himself on the ground and giggling like crazy. What a beautiful scene. What a beautiful day; you know the kind of day I'm talking about; blue skies that seem like they go on forever, birds singing their sweet songs, the smell of roses drifting on the breeze...all that crap, but honestly, I didn't notice any of this. Why do I call it crap? Why didn't I notice? Melanie and I were fighting...again. The details are long gone, and if i could remember them, it would be completely trivial. Our disagreement had turned into an "I'm right and your wrong" wrestling match, and neither of us were interested in making up or ending the argument...we wanted to be RIGHT! Out of complete frustration, I took Noah & retreated to the great outdoors.

A few minutes passed & Melanie came outside, but we still didn't speak; we just watched him run & jump, then he would throw himself down on the ground, and roll onto his back & stare at the sky. Then a funny thing happened...he knew we were fighting; (we don't hide it very well and I'm ashamed to say there are times he sternly tells us to stop fighting). So, in the middle of our "cold shoulder" stubborn pride, he speaks these words..."Daddy, come lay down with me. Mommy, come lay down with me." My mind immediately went to all the excuses I could use...my back hurts, the grass is damp, I'll get itchy...whatever....but I didn't say any of these, I simply sat down beside him, as Melanie stretched out beside him. "No, Daddy...you have to see this...you have to lay down. So I did.

INSTANTLY, the anger melted away, and I reached for Mel's hand, to find her reaching for mine. There is something therapeutic about the feeling of cool grass on your skin...something almost holy about staring into the deep blue sky that seems to go on forever. I began to realize that the magic of the moment was because I had taken my rightful place...in the dust. I was overwhelmed with awe and wonder, and filled with the most peace and joy that I had felt in a very long time. Tears began to roll down my face as I was reminded of how BIG God is, and of how small I am...and how small & ridiculous my problems are...I was where I should be...laying in the grass with my precious son & beautiful wife, staring up at the creation of my beautiful Father.

Yes, there is a wisdom in laying down; in laying down my rights & my beloved little wrongs, in laying down my need to be right instead of happy, in laying down my pride, my agenda, and my self-centeredness...and there is a wisdom in laying down in the grass and remembering how small I am & how great is He...

...and He likes me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg what an amazing post!! I know those moments.... the ones when you remember why Jesus said that we must come to him as little children....Why sometimes you just have to get down and play at the childrens level. It's always the child in us that remembers how great and wonderful He is! It's the adult in us who shares it.

Gurtrude said...

Hey, uncle Greg! I just wanted to tell you that I am your follower under the name Gertrude.

Susan said...

...a little child shall lead them....I found this wonderful post about how children lead us into humility, a forgiving spirit, sincerity, and a confiding trust.
Bless you guys! http://www.focusongod.com/Isaiah-11_1-10.htm