Distractions 2010 (with thanks to Justin Rizzo)

"It's amazing how many things I can do, to keep myself from remembering how far I really am away from You." -Justin Rizzo

When this came up on my Facebook page, it stopped me in my tracks. Justin Rizzo is a worship leader & intercessory missionary at IHOP-KC & he posted this as his status update earlier this week and I have been chewing on it since then. It wounds me....it pierces me in the deepest place with it's blade of truth. Distractions have once again placed themselves on the throne of my heart. Oh, how subtle and sneaky they are, these little devils of distraction, and they take many forms: religious activity, family matters, comfort, entertainment...all the activities of my mind & my hands...ANYTHING....just so long as I don't have to be still & quiet and face the reality....that You are altogether NOT like me and I am not striving daily to be like You.

I wrote an extended piece about this very thing several years ago, when I spent a month at IHOP-KC. My first wife, Denise, had passed away & I went there to wrestle with the grief & to allow the Lord to heal me. Itis interesting to go back and read it now...here is the link, if you are interested. "Replacement Lovers" 

 


1 comments:

Susan said...

Reminds me of how we keep on so much noise so that we deafen the still small voice of His Holy Spirit. I'm guilty but repenting and seeking to hear His voice always. God may we thirst and hunger after you...